Friday, December 08, 2006

Mind Control via False Dichotomies

Usually a reference to so-called "Mind Control" brings up thoughts of drugs, deprivation, and brain-washing. But Inner Vision host Michael Benner thinks it's more insidious than that. Join us Friday afternoon at one o'clock when Michael discusses how "false dichotomies" are used to limit and control your thinking. That's Inner Vision at 1:00 PM on KPFK, 90.7-FM for all of Southern California, 98.7-FM in Santa Barbara county, and streaming for the world at KPFK-dot-org.

Your text comments are welcome here. Thanks.

Michael Benner
KPFK, 90.7-FM / Inner Vision, Fri at 1:00 PM
3729 Cahuenga Blvd. West
North Hollywood, CA 91604


My Voicmail 818 / 569-3017

3 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my experience, people who use this ploy end up playing the "whoever yells the loudest wins" game. Example: I'm a very liberal Cahtolic (the pope would excommunicate me for sure) and I've tried to have conversations with conservatives on issues like abortion. Them: Are you pro-abortion (pro-choice), yes or no. If you say yes, you are no "Christian". When you tried to qualify your answer, they start yelling and calling you names. It is like this on every issue - hell will freeze over before they will concede that you have a point. It is, I am convinced, a complete waste of time and I don't do it anymore.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Michael Benner said...

All that yelling, like the black or white thinking behind it, is evfidence of their FEAR. Treat them with compassion, remembering that they suffer from vicious cycles of fear and confusion. Anything you might be able to do to help them feel safe will help move the discussion from True or False to Multiple Choice.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Sue Bielenberg said...

I relate to that comment, and have been working on the problem of tolerating the intolerant. Leaving behind dogmatism is a process, and I am learning to accept that no matter what I do, I cannot change them. I like the idea of showing compassion and helping them feel safe. Perhaps they will, even if they do not accept my point of view, feeling less threatened by my differences will open the door for them to transform later when they are on the right turn in their path.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home